Friday, January 17, 2014

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time






 Today was a warm fuzzy type day! About a week ago I handed out over 600 flyers with a paper bag attached! I wanted the children to each bring in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for someone in need. If they were allergic or were unable to bring in a sandwich they were asked to bring in a can of soup. My goal was 350 sandwiches.
I got a hold of two giant carts and two of my aides along with 4 of my students went one way and I along with 3 students and another aide went another way. We went door to door collecting bag after bag!
We met back in our room and began sorting. Some children didn't just send in one sandwich, they sent in several. Some put either an orange, an apple ,Hershey Kiss , napkins and even a Bible scripture in their bag. Bread ranged from white to even English Muffins. Some classes even made more sandwiches and used the activity as a learning center.
We counted the sandwiches by tens, estimated, and even tied our Service Learning into Dr. King's belief that regardless we are all equal.!We then proceeded to box.
We wound up collecting 475 sandwiches along with 197 cans of soup!! Yahoo!
The children were so excited and so was I.
All of our sandwiches and soup were donated to a local shelter.

The above read was a great spring board for this activity.  My class and I had a great discussion about volunteering. 

Remember  that no matter how small you are....Even children in grades PreK-2nd grade ... Something so simple as a sandwich ..... can make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this idea! And you are right... even the littles could do it. How inspiring!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete