Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mad Scientist








I have spent the past week working on Science like I promised. However, I had to do it in between basketball games,driving the oldest to too and from work,celebrating her 17th birthday, attending a dear friend's brother's viewing,and finally making the house look "spit-spot" for another showing. That makes 10 people tramping through my home since March...NOT ONE OFFER!!!! That felt good to get that off my chest.


So here is what I have so far for my Science. I am going to start with a unit entitled Gnome Engineering. 





I bought this set from Susan Cahalane over at http://scienceforkidsblog.blogspot.com. I think the little ones will enjoy trying to design their very own bridge for the Gnomes. The graphics are great and the concept is even greater. It goes hand in hand with the NGSS Standards-Grades K-2 Engineering Design. Susan also just created one with Monsters and cars. Think I'm going to try that for October. I just want to get the kids excited about Science...hoping this unit does the trick. Needless to say I have a paper bag that is being filled with toilet paper rolls, cardboard, and yogurt cups. Just something more to add to my collection. :)In addition this week I made a Rubric to go along with the unit. 



Today I found these Neon Green Composition books for 50 cents each over at Walmart. These will serve as Science Notebooks. I plan on doing some Science Interactive Notebooking with the kids.


This will be on the cover:

 If you are interested in tips on how to get started check out Ari over at :
Also in my classroom I am going to have Mystery Box set up where the students can write down their predictions as to what could possibly be inside the box. This activity will be great for developing inferencing.





Class pets will include goldfish and a hermit crab. I realize that it doesn't go along with my Jungle theme...but there is no way I will ever be touching a snake of any sort! Ugh!
A Science Discovery Table will be displayed with items that I have brought in plus items that the class has brought in. I am also collecting rocks,feathers,marble,felt, etc.. to place in bags for self discovery..anything hands on is my focus.
 I am on the hunt for little lab coats too. If anyone know where I can find them cheaper than $10 from Oriental Trading  let me know. I have not clicked the buy button yet.




Below are a few other items I have made this week and or laminated.




These Science Word Wall Cards are from 


TPT store.

After we complete our Bridge Building we are diving right into Habitats.




Next up: Social Studies.





1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I organized all my science links on Symbaloo, but that's about as far as I have gotten this summer. I need to get my act in gear!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete