Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Linky Party


My Life as a 3rd Grade Teacher
Lindsay is having a Linky Party: Must Have Materials for Reading and Writing Workshop. 
Reading Workshop Materials that are necessary in my classroom are a variety of books. Before summer began I used the Lexile Scale to sort all the books that I have gooten over the years. I think not only will I use that system but I will also include a genre system as well. Baskets are essential. I grabbed labels from Beth Newingham at http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/basket_labels.htm a few years ago. This summer I found cute labels as well from Kristen over at http://www.ladybugsteacherfiles.com. Also in my reading Workshop my students will each have a Reader's Response folder where they can record their thoughts about what they have read.
Comfort is another element that is important in any classroom. Beanbag chairs are a favorite in my beanbag chairs
classroom. Last summer I actually was awarded 4 beanbag chairs through http://www.donorschoose.org/. I also have a bunch of rugs that the students can use as well.
Lastly for Reader's Workshop I use a great deal of picture books from the library. I feel students are never too old to hear me read. These books are used as springboards in areas of the reading process.
Writer's Workshop
If I was able to get into my classroom I could include a picture of my Writer's area. I took an old shoe stackable and made that an area for a variety of paper. I include color and paper that has designs. Whenever I am out and about I always look for printed paper with designs on it.  I usually find great buys at the Dollar Store and Walmart. My students use these for final copies of their stories.CupcakeStationery3 I think it actually makes them feel like an author. My students also have a Composition book that they make their own by using pictures they have drawn or taken. Of course I include colored pens,markers, etc...so they can really use anything they wish to write their stories. Word walls are posted throughout the class as a guide as well.
When they are ready they can use the Author's Chair to share their stories. I think this year I am actually going to have an Author's Tea for the parents. It will be a night set aside for the parents to read everyones writing.English Tea Cup
So now it's your turn...What are your "Must haves" in your Reading and Writing Workshops?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I am always on the hunt for printed paper.

    Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also collect the cute writing paper! For my 2nd graders, I run them thru the copier to print lines on them, because otherwise they're writing will slant diagonally down the page, lol! But I find that they LOVE writing on "fancy" paper! :)

    Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete