Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hump Day









Well..if you can't beat them join them! lol
On a weekly basis I have had a student come in on Wednesday and say it's Hump Day! Of course he is trying to do it in the voice from the commercial . It makes us all laugh every time!
So this past week I decided to run with it. During our Morning Meeting I surprised the class with this anchor chart, minus the words. :









Needless to say they cracked up at my camel and his teeth! We started generating UMP words. I have to admit they really got into it...even my aides that are working with me added to the list.
Later in the afternoon we had our Dump Cake that we made the day before.

Here is the recipe:

This recipe is designed for kids to bake. It's incredibly easy with no mixing involved. Canned fruits are dumped into a baking pan, topped with cake mix, butter, andnuts, then baked. The result is something in between a cake and a cobbler, and amazingly delicious. Adults will also love this recipe.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 (20 ounces) can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 (21 ounces) can prepared more fruit cherry pie filling
  • 1 (18.25 ounces) box yellow cake mix
  • 2 sticks (1 cup or 16 Tablespoons) of butter or margarine, each cut into 12 slices
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (pecanswalnutspistachios,cashews, peanuts, etc., your choice)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 for glass baking dish). Have a 9 by 13-inch baking pan ready.

Dump undrained pineapple baking dish or pan and spread it out evenly.

Using a spoon, dump globs of cherry pie filling evenly on top of the pineapple.

Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the cherry and pineapple layers.

Cut butter into slices with a butter knife and place slices evenly over cake mix.

Sprinkle nuts on top if you're using them.

Bake for one hour. Use heavy oven mitts to remove the dump cake from oven or let your older helper do it.

To serve, scoop cake out with a large spoon like a cobbler, and dump it on a nice plate. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is delicious with dump cake. Serve warm or cold.

Yield: about 10 to 12 servings 


Now the jury is out..some of my class loved it while others didn't. My class knows though,that they have to at least try it.
Throughout the week I noticed students trying to put "ump" words in their writing. So that is a positive in my book!
Now I realize that their are schools that are banning anyone from saying, "It's Hump Day!" It is supposedly causing a disruption in the classroom. Me personally, I address it and then we quickly move on. I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

Here is something else I worked on this week. Next week I am doing a Spider Unit. My students are going to be greeted by this on Tuesday since we are off for Columbus Day.





Hope they like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment