Wednesday, June 19, 2013

You Don't Say....



Tammy from http://foreverin1st.blogspot.com is hosting a Linky Party. Since school is now officially over I thought I would join the fun.

1. LINE UP  MISH MOSH
I realize that this is a nonsensical word...but boy does it get their attention. I say this to have my class line up. It's either  that or I say, "Line up Low High or High Low." I assign my students a number on the first day of school.  It is up to them to figure out the order in which they should line up.  Learning even  when they are lining up for a bathroom break. :)

2. EYES ON PRINT
Giving Cues throughout a lesson is so helpful. I personally don't like calling a child out for not paying 
attention. So when I see some of my friends daydreaming I simply say..."Eyes on print" and they immediately bring their focus right back  to their reading assignment.
3. HANDS ON YOUR HEAD
Rather than stop the flow of a lesson you may hear me say, Hands on your head if you think this character has the trait of a villain...or if you agree with the response of Joey put your finger on your nose. It is almost similar to Simon Says. The kids get a real kick out of this form of assessment. My motto is the sillier the better. Love to hear the giggles.
4.   MAKE IT A GREAT DAY and MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES
At the end of each class period I wanted to give my students a "gentle remind"...that is another of my sayings....to make it a great day and to make the right choices. Middle School children have so many choices to make during the course of a school day. Even outside of the school day they need to remember to make the right choices. Also I wanted them to succeed in their other classes as well. Personally I think it's alright to give these reminders to them. Hopefully they will rub off.

What are your sayings during the course of your day?



No comments:

Post a Comment