Today I am liking up with Miss Kindergarten for 10 Things I have learned from teaching.
1. Eat right and get plenty of rest if possible. Some days will drain you more than others. You will need all the energy you can get !
2. Always make friends with the Secretaries and the Custodians. They will be your life line throughout the school year. Kindness goes a long way. Some of my good friends are right there in the front office.
3. Look at each year as "Day 1" of teaching. Since day one..and that was 32 years ago...I have looked at each year as my very first year of teaching. I truly feel this has helped me not to get burned out like alot of other staff members. It's all in your thinking. :)
4. Don't listen to the "negative." This type of talk will bring you down. Surround yourself with as many positive people as possible.
4. Be open to new ideas and techniques. Never stop educating yourself.
5.Listen to your students. You may be the only one they can actually talk too. Take an interest in their outside activities. Try and attend a dance recital or a ballgame they may be playing in.
6.Look for a good Sale. Teachers are always buying things for their students or classroom. Also,don't forget your Aides. A little somethin' somethin' is always appreciated. They are your right hand ladies or men in your class.
7.Be flexible. Try not to get upset if a lesson doesn't go well,there is an unexpected issue in your classroom, sopmeone gets hurt,etc... try and go with the flow.
8. Be firm. Tone of voice has a big impact on children. But they will respect you for it in the end.
9. Be fair.
10. Have a ball. Enjoy what you are doing. Sing a song! Act silly! Change your voice. Find the Joy in your classroom!
Best of luck with the upcoming school year!